This is a nice easy cake. Rich. Like a really good brownie says my husband :) I am actually not a huge chocolate fan -- I like it in things and occasionally crave a piece of chocolate but chocolate desserts often are too rich for me and just not as good as something else. But most people love chocolate and it is such an quick recipe and a crowd pleaser. Good for guests. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream.
8 oz good bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened), chopped
2 sticks unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
6 large eggs
1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, plus additional for dusting
1. Put a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter pan, line bottom with a round of parchment paper or wax paper, and butter paper.
2. Chop up chocolate. Mmmmm chocolate.
3. Slice up butter. (health health health!)
4. Melt chocolate with butter in a medium metal bowl set over a saucepan of barely simmering water, stirring until smooth.
5. Remove bowl from heat and whisk in sugar, then add eggs one at time, whisking well after each addition.
6. Sift cocoa powder over chocolate and whisk until just combined.
7. Pour batter into pan.
8. Bake until top has formed a thin crust and a wooden pick or skewer inserted in center of cake comes out with moist crumbs adhering, 35 to 40 minutes. Cool cake in pan on rack for 10 minutes, then remove side of pan. Invert cake onto a plate and reinvert onto rack to cool completely. Dust cake with cocoa powder before serving.