2 cups cake flour
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cloves
2 T. ground ginger
3/4 tsp salt
8 T unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
3/4 cup buttermilk
Cream Cheese Frosting
1/2 lb cream cheese, at room temperature
12 T (1 1/2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 lb powdered sugar, sifted
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Prepare a pan by spraying it well and lining the bottom with parchment. You definitely don't want to skip this step! (I used a 9 inch round, you could use an 8 inch square or whatever else you want, just adjust baking time)
3. Sift together dry ingredients in mixing bowl of stand mixer.
4. Beat in butter and buttermilk for a few minutes until fluffy and creamy. (NOTE: you can make buttermilk by adding 1 T of lemon juice or vinegar to a cup of milk. Here I used about 2/3 of a T for 3/4 cup milk).
5. Add eggs and beat a couple more minutes until thick.
6. Pour into prepared pan.
7. Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, about 50-60 minutes.
8. Cool on cooking rack.
9. Meanwhile, make icing by combining softened cream cheese and butter in the bowl of a stand mixer. Add vanilla and beat until combined.
10. Gradually beat in powdered sugar and mix until mixture holds soft peaks.
11. When cake is cool, ice it with a spatula.
12. Cut and serve. (Icing will firm up on the fridge).