This classic southern pie is SO delicious. I personally prefer it to pumpkin and have made it instead of the last two Thanksgivings. I topped it with some homemade spiced pecans and used an all-butter pie crust. Here's the recipe:
1 (1 lb) sweet potato
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 (9 inch) unbaked Butter Pie Crust
1. Roll out crust and crimp edges. Refrigerate crust while preparing filling.
2. Boil sweet potato whole in skin for 40 to 50 minutes, or until done. Run cold water over the sweet potato and remove the skin.
3. Mash sweet potato in bowl of a stand mixer.
4. Add butter, and mix well with mixer.
5. Add sugar, milk, eggs, nutmeg, cinnamon and vanilla. beat on medium speed until mixture is smooth.
6. Pour into unbaked pie crust.
7. Bake at 350 degrees F. for 55 to 70 minutes, until almost completely set. Pie will puff up like a souffle and then sink down as it cools. Top with spiced nuts if you wish.