Sunday, February 24, 2013

Homemade Granola


I have been in the habit of making my own granola lately -- I like it because you can customize it, it is really affordable compared to buying your own, and perhaps best of all, you can't read the calories on it!... it is actually calorie-free I think... :-)  also it's fun to make.  This is a good recipe from Bon Appetit a couple months back... I made a few changes (see notes)

3 cups rolled oats
1.5 cups assorted chopped nuts (Anya: I used 1 cup)
1.5 cups shaved coconut (Anya: I used 1 cup... you could also use grated coconut but the slivers are nice -- you can get them in the bulk section at some supermarkets)
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
1 large egg white, lightly beaten
1/4 cup canola oil or coconut oil (I used coconut oil)
1/4 cup agave syrup, maple syrup or honey (I used honey)
2 Tbs brown sugar
(Anya: I added 1 tsp vanilla extract)
Assorted dried fruit such as raisins, golden raisins, cranberries, or cherries.

Combine oats, nuts, coconut, cinnamon, and salt.  Add beaten egg white and stir well.  In small pan, put oil, honey (or other sweetener), brown sugar, and stir over low heat until combined.  Remove from heat and stir in vanilla, if using.  Pour over dry ingredients, mix well with wooden spoon.  Spread granola evenly on parchment lined baking sheet.  Bake at 325, stirring every 10 minutes, for 35-45 minutes, until golden.  Remove from heat and place tray on a cooling rack.  The granola will crunch up and form clumps as it cools.  Spinkle with dried berries.  Serve with milk or over greek yogurt.  Store in airtight container for up to 2 weeks.


Enjoy!

-- Anya

No comments:

Post a Comment